Sunday, February 20, 2011

Friendship Celebration on Valentines Day



This Monday, February 14th we celebrated Valentine's Day with a lovely school wide celebration of friendship in the gym.  The grade sixes and twos where the main celebrants for this occasion and what a beautiful job they did.  We started of with a few words from our principal, Mr. Clericuzio who introduced a moving musical video demonstrating the power of love and acceptance around the world by celebrating each of our unique gifts and talents.  Take a look at an unusual rendition of the song "Stand By Me."


Here is our opening prayer and gospel reading that were the focus of our devotion:

Jesus,
Loving companion of Your children,
You have extended Your friendship to all,
You opened Your arms without discrimination,
Offering Your warmth to those seeking comfort.
Endow me with the virtue of such a friendship,
To know, love and trust all on an equal basis;
To share my patronizing without favouritism,
And to be pleasant towards the destitute.
Fashion my heart to reflect Your qualities,
Those befitting of a cordial association.
Jesus, You showed me the way to true friendship.
Amen

John 15:9-11

A reading from the Gospel of John.
As the Father also loved me, so I have loved you.  Remain in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments, and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.

The gospel of the Lord.
PRAISE TO YOU LORD JESUS.


To help illustrate the definition of friendship the grade sixes read a story called the " Sandwich Swap," by Her Majesty Queen Rania of Jordan and Kelly S. Dipucchio.

It is about two little girls who didn't like each other because they were different and both thought the sandwiches they brought to school were weird, until they tasted them!  They became very good friends.  It's an awesome book about friendship.



The grade twos led by our dance teacher Mrs. Nells-Sampson, came out of the crowd like a flash mob and began dancing to the song, "You Got a Friend in Me," from the movie Toy Story.

Later that day each class celebrated Friendship Day by exchanging valentines and treats. I am not saying there wasn't a lot of chocolate around that day...


...some families came up with a creative and healthful way to give a sweet treat like this bottle of "Love Potion."

Recipe for "Love Potion"

1 small bottle of water,
1 single serving of Koolaid Singles,
1 fancy heart shaped drinking straw
A pretty cellophane gift bag decorated with hearts,
Home made labels on your computers to place over the bottle's label that read,
"Happy Valentines Day - 1 Bottle of Love Potion"

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment